The Department of Family Medicine is one of the foremost clinical departments of the Niger Delta University Teaching Hospital, Okolobiri. It renders clinical services to patients of the hospital in a bid to fulfilling its mission. The aims and objectives of the department include:
- To advance academic excellence in the training of medical students during family medicine rotations.
- To provide comprehensive, compassionate, competent, coordinated and efficient frontline care to patients with diverse medical conditions.
- To conduct research relevant to common medical problems in our environment.
Vision for the Future
It is hoped that the department shall transform and improve in the present output and efficiency. This would be in the areas of:
- Enhanced teaching and training of medical students.
- Establishment of Residency training in Family Medicine at NDUTH.
- Creation of additional units in the department including NHIS Clinic,
- Well Men’s Clinic, Well Women’s Clinic, and Domiciliary services.
- Training and re-training of doctors
Research and Continuing Medical Education activities
Clinical services are provided at the GOP and Staff clinics from Monday to Friday (8:00am to 4:00pm).
A team is on call for emergency care through the Accident and Emergency department after 4.00pm and on weekends as well.
The Department is made up of General Out-Patient and Staff Clinic
Our Service Plan
- Comprehensive healthcare for patients
- Acute and chronic illness care
- Preventive health services
- Comprehensive Routine Medical Screening
- Counseling as a major component of management
- Pre-employment and pre-insurance medical examination
- Periodic Health ExaminationReferrals as indicated